Tuesday 18 December 2007

En route Algarve - Brittany

I have left Lagos today by car after a mad few weeks and am now heading for Christmas in France. I am heading first to Limoges and then to Brittany. Total distance will be more than 5000 km before I get back to Lagos in 2 weeks.

Why this mad dash? Simple! The absolute paucity of low cost flights from the Iberian Peninsula to regional airports in France. By the time I took a train to Lisbon, got Easyjet to Paris and then train to my two destinations, its going to be cheaper driving.

I am using a diesel vehicle and am going to avoid toll roads.

Leaving Lagos this afternoon, I took the A22 Via de Infante to Albufeira, the old IP1 to Alcacer do Sal, then the cross country road road to Montemar de Novo and then the N4 to Estrmoz. Left Lagos at circa 13:45. Arrived Estremoz 18:10, having stopped at Mimosa for lunch. Total distance about 350km. Drive Time. (No Motorway) - 4 hrs.

Have found a free Internet Cafe offered by the Council and open from 14:00 to 20:00 7 days a week. No wifi but machines seem fine. Staying at the Pensão Café Alentejano Estremoz for Euro 25 night for one person. Clean rooms with shower toilet on suite. No website but can be called on +351 268 337 300.