Sunday 30 November 2008

Lagos to Rimini via Seville and Bergamo Orio A Serio Pt. 1

I left Lagos at 06:15 on a cold dark November morning.

Given the problems getting taxis at that hour, I walked to the halt at Meia Praia and boarded the train for Faro.

At Faro, I walked the 100 metres to the EVA bus station and after 30 minutes caught the 08:20 bus to Seville.

The bus stopped at the frontier for five minutes for Portuguese and Spanish Police to check ID Cards/Passports. It appears that after the recent spate of drug hauls in the Algarve, buses crossing internal schengen frontiers are being increasingly monitored.

We had a layover of 20 minutes in Huelva and arrived in Seville Plaza das Armas 10 minutes late at 13:00 (Spanish Time.)

I then took the C4 bus from outside Plaza das Armas (€ 1.10) to the Prado S. Sebastian Bus Station from where I walked the 400m or so to:

PENSION SAN PANCRACIO
C/ CRUCES Nº 9
41004 – SEVILLA
España

Tel: 34 5 441 31 04
email: pensionspancracio@hotmail.com

I found this Hostal on the web but chanced my luck being November. I got a single room for
€ 25.00 for a night.

This Pension is situated at the top end of the old area behind the Alcalar. Very clean and welcoming.

The room had no TV and there was a shared shower. I understand that there are double rooms with showers.

However, there is free wifi.

Showers are not available between 23:00 and 07:00. There is a curfew at 01:30.

I had to leave to get the bus to the airport from near the Prado Bus Station. The owners kindly awoke early to let me have a shower and let me out!

There is a lovely malmute cross in residence called "El Gordo" - The fat one! Very friendly.

I walked to the bus station at caught the bus to Seville Airport. Cost € 2.10.

Now en route to Milano Bergamo by Ryanair. Flight was full which is great news for traffic loadings.

Arrived Bergamo with 2 inches of snow on the ground. Took the bus to Milano Centrale Station. Euro 8.00 and 50 minutes transit.

Milan Central was chaos. Snow had caused havoc across the whole Northen Italian Rail network. I was heading for Bolonha and then Rimini. Ticket on a regional train to Bolonha was Euro 10.80.
Unfortunately one of the catenaries had come down on the line and trains were restricted to one way working on one section. As a result a trip that should have taken 2 hours took just under 4 hours. Was able to connect with a late running Rimini train. Only arrived in Rimini 1 hour late.